Webmaster: last update 17 October 1998; opinions; index
NATO intervention and position Greens
All 16 Members of NATO approved the activation order for military intervention in Yugoslavia.
Permanent members of the Security Council:
- The Russian Federation is opposed to a military intervention by NATO.
- The Peoples Republic of China is opposed to a military intervention by NATO.
The Executive Committee of the European Green Federation made a declaration against intervention. The position of some Member parties is:
- Bündnis 90/Die Grünen (Germany) Parliamentary fraction divided. Majority leaded by Joschka Fischer in favour. Minority leaded by Ludger Volmer against. Voting at 16 October 1998: 29 in favour 9 against, 8 abstentions, 2 members not present.
- Federazione dei Verdi (Italy) After the break-up of the Prodi-administration voted the Parliamentary fraction against intervention.
- De Groenen (Netherlands) The executive committee is against intervention.
- GroenLinks (Netherlands) The fraction in the Second Chamber voted in favour of intervention.